Sunday 28 October 2012

The Pilgrim

Almost five years ago I moved back home for the summer. Home to mum and dad’s, home to Katikati, and home to St Paul’s. I’d finished my study, I was just shy of twenty one, and I sure as heck didn’t know what I was going to do with my life.

I spent the summer house sitting and serving coffee at a local café. By February I’d scored a job at the Katikati Community Centre. In the mornings I sat at the reception answering phones and practicing my happy face. In the afternoons I supervised kids after school, feeding them, and perfecting my angry face.

With a full time job, and finally some income, I moved into this place on Polley Cresent and purchased a piece of junk car (which has served me faithfully since). I didn’t know it at the time, but I was learning to make myself at home again. I was learning to live with these people in this place again. I was learning to love these people and this place again.

That same year I reduced my hours at the Community Centre and took on a job at St Paul’s as a Children and Families Pastor. The people of St Paul’s had nurtured my faith since I was a wee tot, and now they were entrusting me to do the same with the youngest members of the congregation.

It has been a privilege and an honour to journey with the people of St Paul’s and the people of Katikati over the last five years, and indeed, the last twenty five years. These people have been fellow pilgrims and I am grateful for the life we have shared together. Now, after all the years, I’ll be walking along this road with different travel companions, with a different community. I’ll see the people of St Paul’s at a distance, I’ll call out, and wave, and blow kisses.

 This is for the people who taught me how to walk, and have walked with me this far:

These restless feet will wander far from here
This humbled heart will ponder and not fear
These earnest eyes are fonder for these years
And when you see me yonder, call me near

Because I know;

I, I am home
I am loved
I belong

You, you are home
You are loved
You belong

We, we are home
We are loved
We belong

These weary feet will stumble and fall
These weathered hands will fumble and brawl
These listless lips will mumble and call
This heavy heart will crumble for all

But still I know;

I, I am home
I am loved
I belong

You, you are home
You are loved
You belong

We, we are home
We are loved
We belong

These homebound feet will follow the One who knows the way
These gentle hands will hold, and hope, and pray
These eager eyes will long to see the day
This hope-filled heart will find a place to stay

Because I know;

I, I am home
I am loved
I belong

You, you are home
You are loved
You belong

We, we are home
We are loved
We belong

2 comments:

  1. You are such a heartfelt, sincere and profound write Cate. Your feelings and faith show so strongly in each of your beautiful words. Indeed the community has been nurtured by your presence and you by it, but that is the way we should all relate with our communities.

    I wish you all the best in your future journeys of faith and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tegs, you have no idea how much I appreciate your words. You're right, we should nurture and be nurtured by our communities. Peace. Cate xx

      Delete